Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Conflicted...

Interesting week to be honest.  I will jump to some poker stuff first.  Been playing on Black Chip Poker on-line.  Can't get money on there because now they take no credit cards and I'm not doing Western Union.  So, been playing some free rolls and such to try and get so I am playing for money that way eventually.  Tough row to hoe!  Playing several Punta Cana tournaments which if I finish in the top 5 I get an entry into another $1.10 Punta Cana tournament and if I win that one I get an entry into the $5.50 Punta Cana tournament; I have made it that far as I won one of the entry events and then on my 2nd try I won a $1.10 event.  I haven't played the $5.50 event yet, but I believe that just moves me up to a larger dollar event.  I am hoping at some point this leads to some real money...the poker in these events is pretty mediocre, so barring bad luck, which I have certainly experienced, one should be able to move on through.  I have also been playing a $200 free roll that "hands" out real cash without much luck; it moves much faster and while the play is worse the variance is much higher.  I played the PL Omaha event and much like PL Omaha I got my money in good with the nut straight on the turn only to lose to a full house on the river...sigh...but alas, it is fun and hopefully I will see some further progress soon.

As to being conflicted, I find that as I advance in age things get complicated.  People get intertwined in your life and then something happens and you have to untangle that "intertwining."  I don't want to be specific here but I have several situations that have come up this week that have really put me in the middle of things that I don't want to be in the middle of.  It's hard not to take sides and it's hard to keep people happy.  I don't have an answer for it.  Sometimes I know one side is right but I'm still "intertwined" with the other side which leaves me in a difficult situation with difficult decisions to make.  Like next spring, I want to play softball, but there's a situation where my best friend on the team may not be asked to play...I'm not going to play if that happens, but is that fair to either of us?  Yeah, yeah, I hear you people out there saying that I need to retire anyway, but, hey, I have a blast playing.  Maybe they will come to their senses and realize they need a pitcher...I don't know, that's not even the most annoying/serious of the issues this week, but it's the only one I can share.

I went to my first basketball meeting last night in preparation for the upcoming HS basketball season.  I am a basketball official if you have forgotten.  It was interesting.  The points of emphasis are on elbows and excessive contact.  At this point, the powers that be are trying to turn basketball into a non-contact sport.  I understand that there are too many fights and too many head injuries, but c'mon this game was meant to be a physical game in some instances.  When I played, you got real physical with your opponent and then shook hands afterwards.  You respected the fact that they didn't back down.  Also, there weren't many cheap shots; it was clean, hard basketball.  Now...sigh...it's just not the same anymore, but I still love officiating basketball and being part of the game I love.  Hopefully, in some small way, I make the game better while I am on the court.

Thanks for reading follower(s)!

Bum

No comments:

Post a Comment