Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Whistle Doesn't Blow if it's not in Your Mouth

A valuable lesson learned last night.  I was officiating a freshman boys basketball game.  Team A lead Team B 38-36 with 6.5 seconds to go.  I handed the ball in to Team A knowing there was going to be a quick foul.  He throws it in, there's the foul, and I raise my fist and start blowing....problem?  The whistle is not in my mouth!  It won't make any noise that way.  What an embarrassing feeling...we were able to correct the clock and the game finished reasonably.  Sigh...

I'm loving officiating.  I think I am doing pretty good calling the game.  I just need to be more confident in my calls and I still need to continue to get my mechanics cleaned up.  I think the coaches pick up on my hesitancy in my calls at times.  Obviously, in my mind anyway, I need to work on my communication with the coaches as well.  I notice as I work higher up the ladder that the coaches are a lot more vocal and demonstrative.  They have a passion for the game as do I; I just need to make sure that I stay on an even keel and not let their "excitement" affect what I am doing.

As for Poker, our league just played our Main Event.  40 minute blind levels and 107,000 in chips on the table (10 guys).  We had a ton of fun.  I took a few bad beats, including the last hand (trips on the turn vs 2 pair, all-in; 2-outer full house on the river...) and got down to 1200, but fought my way back to 2nd before the 2 outer hit...I'm 0-5 in that tournament which really bugs me, but this was my best finish and I think I played really well.  A couple of breaks, as opposed to runner runner beats, and I may have very well crushed the tournament.

One hand, I felt I set up really well.  I limped in early position with 9/10 offsuit (yes that sounds stupid, but keep reading); I believe the blinds were still 50/100 (I probably started the hand with 10,000).  One of the more aggressive players in our league raises to 300, 2 people call in front of me, so I feel like I am getting decent odds to call, so I do; there is one more caller.  Flop is J Q 4.  Checks all around.  4 of us still in to the turn.  7.  Check, Check...hmmm...I bet 600, my follower calls and the other two players fold.  River is an 8.  Bingo!  I'm trying to come up with a bet that he will call and put 700 out there.  He thinks about it and says "All in."  I check to make sure there are no flush possibilities or that I missed something and basically insta-call.  He says "I got the straight."  I say "So do I, we must be splitting."  Nope, he had 5 6.  He was very surprised by what I had.  I believe he thought I had KQ or QJ.  Tough hand for him as he was the host and he was out about an hour and 10 minutes in...

Anyway, that's about all I have.  There were some other hands, but I don't want to just talk about my bad beats.  On a side note, IU gets their two big guys back for the Butler game this Saturday, Hanner Perrea-Mosquera and Peter Jurkin.  IU just got deeper!  Mark my words: Jeremy Hollowell is going to go off some game this season for like 20-25 points and people are going to wonder where that came from.  This kid is a stud.

Bum

No comments:

Post a Comment